Saturday, August 11, 2007
His swollen droopy eyes tell that he does not feel well, yet he still pushes through, rest, play, rest, play...
Loves to take a stroller ride. We did get to spend a little time in the family area on the 5th floor today. He was immediately back in the Flintstone cars. He kicks back and enjoys ride.
Hopefully tomorrow will bring answers and NO fever.
Poor little guy had absolutely nothing, but some numbing cream on his back and mom’s hand to squeeze. He felt so bad, just did not have much in him to put up a fight. The spinal fluid did appear very clear, which was a great sign.
Fever was still very high and he spent the night having hourly temp checks. Yes, the kind no one enjoys. This morning around 5 am, Wes’ fever broke. Around 8 am he started sitting up and seems to be feeling much better. Nsg team came by this morning and said his lumbar puncture came back clear. Not sure on all of the other test, but his antibiotics have been bumped up as a precaution. I missed this nsg stop as I was consumed after the nurse this morning left his diaper twisted.
Right now Wes is sitting up in bed next to me and playing with an amazing collection of toys he has acquired during his stay. Of course the hospital water pitcher is his favorite. He will need his own toy box before we leave.
Friday, August 10, 2007
Today Wes is feeling pretty bad. This morning he spiked a fever, 103.5. He had Tylenol, which did not bring it down at all. He has been having HOURLY rectal temp checks. So far he has had a battery of blood test, urine which he was catheterized for, chest x-ray, CT scan, been thoroughly checked physically by a ped, ears, eyes, stomach, chest...all checked fine, and seen by and physically evaluated again by the infectious disease team. Nsg nurse practitioner, Kathy, removed his bandage to check his incision. Yes, of course pulls at a mom's heartstrings to see, but it does look well. We are still awaiting blood test and ct results. Right now he is NPO, awaiting a lumbar puncture to check for meningitis.
Monday, August 06, 2007
Wes will have a CT scan next Thursday. Dr. Bowman will then determine if he can be released from the hospital and have feeding tube removed.
Wes will go in tomorrow morning to have a PICC line placed. After tonight, this is welcomed addition to his web of wires. The antibiotic and pain meds are rough on his little veins. This also saves him the repeated sticks for blood draws. He did come out of surgery with an arterial line, which saved him many sticks, but could not come to constant care with this line.
Tonight he blew an IV line and was in miserable pain. His little leg had swollen terribly. Of course this happened or was realized as the nurse was holding his pain medication. Instead of relief, he spent two hours screaming in pain, kicking heating packs away and anyone else who dared near him, and then he received a BIG ouchie for a new IV.
Hoping for a little more sleep tonight, this may be the case out of shear exhaustion from his experience this afternoon. Last night he wanted to be held all night. He would stick his little hand out of the crib wanting to hold my hand. Of course that was not enough and at 2am and no rest for either of us, we cuddled up in the chair. “Slept” sitting straight up!!! Nurse has me prepared tonight with a “comfortable” reclining type “chair”. Who makes this hospital furniture????
Sunday, August 05, 2007
Wes was moved last night to a step down from the PICU. Constant care unit is basically six beds divided by curtains. All neuro patients, which is better for Wes. Last night they also removed his arterial line and catheter.
He is doing better since Dr. Bowman came into the ICU and laid down the law on his pain meds. Pain is still an issue, but better.
He is being fed with an oral gastric (OG) tube. He is finally getting some pediasure, but is not real happy with this tube and has tried to maneuver it out with his tongue. With his palate open there was just too much communication. This will remain for about two weeks.
His little eyes are swollen badly. Both have been swollen completely closed. His arms are in no-nos to keep him from pulling out the OG tube. This keeps his arms straight, but he still manages to let me know, he wants to be held. Reaches up and clinches his little fist. It is a difficult task with the swelling and wires, which have lessened in the past day. Even lying in my lap, he does not want to be touched or any type of movement. Want be long and he will be running from anyone in white coat or wearing those latex gloves!
Yesterday Dr. Bowman proudly showed me his CT scans. Both of his encephaloceles are covered with the bone graft from the top of his head, just a bit larger soft spot. His surgery was perfect!!!
Recovery will take time, but he is such a strong little fellow!
Friday, August 03, 2007
He will have a g-tube for about two weeks, due to the communication of his open palate and the surgery site. Anesthesiologist is trying to remove his breathing tube. We will know soon, but will not be able to update for awhile. I will be with my baby!
My boy is such a strong little fellow!!
Dr. Bowman came in this morning thoroughly explained the procedure and answered all of our questions. She did feel the need for Wes to have a feeding tube for about two weeks post op, as his palate is open and way too much communication/exposure. This did come as a shock, but also a reminder that she has a well thought out plan with Wes' best interest top priority. As she walked away to the OR, she held my hand and gently told me they would take care of Wes. I feel in my heart that they will with the guidance we have all prayed for...
First update, after over an hour in the OR, Dr. Bowman is now setting up to begin surgery. His broncoscopy and feeding tube were the first portion and so far everything is going smoothly.
Warning: my post for the next few days will be scattered, as this morning handing my little guy over was the most difficult thing I have ever faced.
Friday, July 27, 2007
Enjoyed a day at Navy Pier today with all three boys and our friends here in Chicago. Chase and I rode the Feris Wheel and saw the beach on the lake! Beautiful blue water. Wes and Rebecca danced for a band on Navy Pier. Such little charmers, the ladies brought them each two leis, all eyes were on them. He loved the loud music. Care free and loving life. His positive energy is so lifting.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Flights have been scheduled and doctors have all given clearance for Wes' surgery. Joey, Wes, and I will fly out July 30th. Wes will be having a MRI, CT scan, and some other test before surgery. He will also be seeing yet another ophthalmologist for pre-surgical evaluation and post evaluations. I would absolutely love to get some answers about Wes vision, but not setting my hopes too high, three ophthalmologists later. It would be nice if this doctor has some experience with children with nystagmus and midline defects such as Wes.Months ago when, I was making this decision, I felt as if my heart would literally stop. A friend emailed asking about living with the decision of Bowman vs any other neurosurgeon, regardless of the outcome. I knew that Bowman was the doctor for Wes. After wards there is no going back, wishing I would have done this, researched that, or gotten on that plane and taken my baby to Bowman.
Last night Wes breathing sounded very familiar. An unnerving familiar! Opened up his little mouth and there was this purplish tissue, protruding through his palate again. Heard this gurgled struggle before about two weeks ago only to find what Wes' ped and I feel is his encephalocele. Although it is not a significant amount visible, it is enough to make my heart stop, enough to make me grateful that the wait is coming to an end.
This journey has lead me to knowledge and strength I never imagined, yet it has also filled my heart and mind with fear. Knowing that Wes' neurosurgeon is making all of these detailed preparations and arrangements is so reassuring. She will get final scans just before he goes into the operating room. I have confidence in her skill and ability and find such peace in knowing that Dr. Bowman will be caring for Wes.
Thursday, July 12, 2007
Wes' surgery was confirmed today for August 3rd by the ENT. When I called again last week for confirmation from the neurosurgeon, I discovered she and her nurse were out on vacation until July 16th. Wow, we have an entire two weeks to prepare. If you are interested in updates I added a feature to add your email address and get a notification when there is an update to his blog. Although I can not imagine there will be much time for updating, I will "TRY" to update his blog occasionally after surgery.
Tuesday was Wes' endocrinologist evaluation with Dr. Nancy Wright in Tallahassee. She again discussed the diagnosis of Septo Optic Dysplasia and the possibility of hormones deficiencies due to the involvement of his pituitary gland. His past two urines were very diluted, so he will be evaluated once again next week then there is a possibility of a water deprivation test. This will test for diabetes insipidus. NOT diabetes mellitus, or associated to blood sugars. Diabetes insipidus is when the pituitary gland does not release an anti diuretic hormone.
As of now Wes' hormones are all normal, with the possible exception of this anti diuretic hormone. He will need to be evaluated every six months, as it is possible that as he grows his pituitary gland will not be able keep up with his body. His pituitary gland did not develop correctly and there is also a cyst present in that area. His age has made it difficult to fully assess his pituitary gland through MRI’s, so the details we have are inconclusive.
The next two weeks are going to be full, preparing for Wes' surgery and lots of appointments. On an exciting note, Brandon's birthday is July 25th!!! 
Nothing beats a good day at the beach (with Cheetos)!!!
Monday, July 09, 2007
The moment I picked him up all I could see was a major EGG!!! A few seconds later he was all smiles, sporting a diaper and first of many adventurous discoveries.
Just in case you had any doubt about how tough this little guy is!Friday, June 29, 2007

Still waiting for a date. Feeling major frustration as each day passes without any idea of a date. Wes is doing great! He has learned to climb up on the couch and chairs, but has not got a handle on the getting down part. He is so cute sitting up on the couch with this little smile letting me know he is a big boy. We are working on a few signs, more, drink, all done, and open. He is a bit stubborn and only likes to use the signs when he wants, but is so cute when he does. He has also learned to say uh-oh, which he uses constantly. Loves to say uh-oh and then drop(throw) something down to be picked up.

I would say that an update with a surgery date will follow soon, but for weeks now I have been saying tomorrow only for tomorrow to come and pass with many phone calls. Unfortunately the phone calls are asking for a date not giving a date. I will post a date as soon as I know one...
Thursday, June 07, 2007
We have returned from Chicago! Wes' sleep study was not a pleasant
experience. He did so well, even smiling, getting all hooked up with the leads on his head, chest, back, legs, and toe, but when he put the nose cannula and the ace bandages around his head and chin he started to really get nervous and anxious. (It did not help that the ENT did a scope down his nose earlier that same day.)He did fall asleep fairly quickly. I even crawled out of the bed and thought I was going to get some rest. About 15 mins into the study, he woke up screaming and was not interested in going back to sleep or calming down. He did eventually go back to sleep, but the rest of the night was full of screaming and inconsolable wake-ups. I ended up staying in the bed with him and when he did sleep he was resting on my chest.

Finally somewhere between 3:30am and 4:00am he woke up and was not going back to sleep. His little body was literally shaking. I signed to end the study a little early.
Not sure if they were able to get any info from that study. I will truly be amazed!!! This was definitely not a typical night for him.
We also saw the two of the docs who will be in his encephalocele surgery with nsg, Dr. Bowman. The ENT is Dr. Schroder. He is very young, but seemed pretty knowledgable about ca children and encephalocele. The ps is Dr. Vicari. I absolutely loved him. He was wonderful, sitting down and discussing everything so thoroughly with us. He saw a picture of Wes at birth and commented that his encephalocele was apparent then. Although I did discuss the fact that we do not intend on continue Wes' cleft repairs in Chicago, he was willing to give his opinion for future repairs and how he would proceed, which was very informative. He feels there is a possibility that he may be able to do something with Wes collapsed nostril during his Encephalocele repair. Both doctors agree that his collapsed nostril the major contributing factor to his airway obstruction in addition to his encephalocele. Ultimately there is alot involved in Wes' case, which seemed to leave both docs in favor of a temporary trach, but ENT will make a final recommendation after reviewing his sleep study results. The results are suppose to be rushed and complete by the end of this week. It may be the first part of next week before we hear anything.
I am very anxious to get these results and the ENT recommendation. A trach has been a very difficult recommendation to completely accept, b/c his breathing has improved so much. The ps even mentioned that we may question the possibility of proceeding without the trach, but ended in saying he felt the safest route would be the trach.
Wow, when will my little guy get a break. As if he does not have enough issues that will affect his speech. It breaks my heart to think of my very sweet, active baby going through yet another set back, all in our effort to go forward. How can he continue to come out of all this with his precious little demeanor? We will continue to surrond him in love as he continues to amaze me daily with his beautiful smile that he shares with everyone.
No worries for him right now, except for finding the Nilla wafer that has fell on his shirt!!
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
We are suppose to fly out Monday at noon, now we wait. Got a call late Thursday night saying local ENT would not give clearance. When Wes had his tubes replaced, he stopped breathing and the anesthesiologist started an IV preparing to intubate him. He did start breathing on his own and did not need intubation. She is very concerned about Wes airway, especially with the added stress of this extensive surgery and the scans prior.
Now Wes must have a sleep study and broncoscopy before the ENT in Chicago will give clearance. These test will take time to schedule. Actually a sleep study was suppose to be order in Oct when Wes was transferred to Shands. Local ENT thought this occurred and that was how Wes was release without the trach. The ENT at Shands just release Wes with the apnea monitor, which by the time he was transferred his breathing had improved. Chicago ENT is not saying 100% that Wes will need a trach, but based on what he has been told he can not rule it out or proceed with the surgery. Until his airway is secure the neurosurgeon feels the risks and dangers are too great. She called Friday and I have been completely in shock since that call. I just can not believe this is happening. It took us two months to get this surgery scheduled. I just can not imagine waiting that long again. I was so prepared and felt at peace.
I will update a new date as soon as I know.
Sunday, April 22, 2007

Time and patience are key when 3 doctors need to dedicate and entire day for this surgery. The led doctor is neurosurgeon Dr. Robin Bowman.
She will be assisted by plastic surgeon Dr. Frank A. Vicari and ENT James W. Schroeder.
The distance was a concern, but is pale in comparison to the intelligence, experience, and talent of a gifted surgeon such as Dr. Bowman. She has given me an unmatched sense of peace since the day Wes was diagnosed. That day she called personally and told not to feel rushed, as we had time to make a decision, regardless of where Wes was transported. At the time, I felt so overwhelmed and such a sense of urgency to make a decision, I was not prepared to make. She calmed my fears with her knowledge and plan for Wes’. She has been the only neurosurgeon who has felt strongly about needing additional scans to get the best possible views before surgery. She has consulted with top neurosurgeons around the world about this condition and has experience with these types of repairs. Wes is in the best possible hands for this surgery.
Please continue to pray for Wes and for guidance of Dr. Bowman hands.
Thursday, March 08, 2007
We are still trying to make a decision on who will do Wes surgery.
Just a little slide show of Wes. Hope you enjoy.
Weston Jeremy
Monday, January 22, 2007
Tuesday, January 02, 2007
It has been sometime since I have posted. Actually discussing and verbalizing Wes’ surgery plans has been a reality that is overwhelming.
Please respect that this is also a very scary time for Chase and Brandon. They are both processing information at their own level. We prefer that no one discuss anything with them. We have only given them a vague explanation that is appropriate for them. They are not able to explain anything or answer questions.
Wes is now being followed by an Endocrinologist, Dr. Wright in Tallahassee. The only concern on Wes blood work results were his growth hormone level. He spent the day in the hospital for a growth hormone stimulation test the first week of Dec. Because his blood was sent to California, we will finally get the results Thursday. This is something that can be treated, but unfortunately with daily shots of growth hormone. Hopefully everything will be fine. I also monitored is blood sugar, but that has been normal. His hormone levels will be monitored periodically as he grows b/c his pituitary gland is involved in this defect.
We have scheduled Wes’ surgery for Jan 22nd at Children’s Health System in Birmingham, AL. http://www.chsys.org/
Wes will be followed by the Craniofacial Team there. I found these doctors through a mother whose 19 month old son, Eli, had this same surgery 6 months ago. They are live in Lee Summit, MO, and have also searched for the most experienced neurosurgeon. Ironically Wes’ initial appointment was 30 mins after Eli’s. We were able to met Eli, his mom, and grandmother. He was being chased by his mother, running and laughing as we walked into the clinic. Seeing Eli brought me such a sense of peace. Wes’ neurosurgeon, Dr. Jeffery Blount, will be assisted by Dr. John Grant, plastic surgeon. We will travel to Birmingham Jan 5th for Wes’ pre-op to discuss the risks and specifics about his encephalocele surgery.
Continue to keep Wes in your prayers. We are surrounding our boys in love and positive energy.


