Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Flights have been scheduled and doctors have all given clearance for Wes' surgery. Joey, Wes, and I will fly out July 30th. Wes will be having a MRI, CT scan, and some other test before surgery. He will also be seeing yet another ophthalmologist for pre-surgical evaluation and post evaluations. I would absolutely love to get some answers about Wes vision, but not setting my hopes too high, three ophthalmologists later. It would be nice if this doctor has some experience with children with nystagmus and midline defects such as Wes.
Months ago when, I was making this decision, I felt as if my heart would literally stop. A friend emailed asking about living with the decision of Bowman vs any other neurosurgeon, regardless of the outcome. I knew that Bowman was the doctor for Wes. After wards there is no going back, wishing I would have done this, researched that, or gotten on that plane and taken my baby to Bowman.
Last night Wes breathing sounded very familiar. An unnerving familiar! Opened up his little mouth and there was this purplish tissue, protruding through his palate again. Heard this gurgled struggle before about two weeks ago only to find what Wes' ped and I feel is his encephalocele. Although it is not a significant amount visible, it is enough to make my heart stop, enough to make me grateful that the wait is coming to an end.
This journey has lead me to knowledge and strength I never imagined, yet it has also filled my heart and mind with fear. Knowing that Wes' neurosurgeon is making all of these detailed preparations and arrangements is so reassuring. She will get final scans just before he goes into the operating room. I have confidence in her skill and ability and find such peace in knowing that Dr. Bowman will be caring for Wes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina & Joey,

I have all of you in my prayers. Your strength and faith are an inspriation and I know that God will watch over all of you, espcially little Wes. You should have great inner peace in knowing that you have left no stone unturned to get the best possile care for Wes. I feel sure that the outcome wil be positive.

Carol McCormick

Unknown said...

Gina & Joey

David and I wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you. We know that you have done everything humanly possible, to find the very best care for Wes. We are so very proud of you. Wes has the best parents in the world. Everyday we are amazed at your strength and determination. You are loved dearly and know that you are in our hearts and prayers. We are looking forward to seeing you and the boys when you return home. I LOVE YOU BEAN.

Anonymous said...

Gina,
I will have Wes and your family in my prayers, but I already know God will watch over your little Angel as he has done for so long now.

Marsha

Anonymous said...

Gina,
Not sure if you will get to read this or not. I know you have already left. My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you as Wes goes through this surgery.
You are getting the best possible care for Wes that you can. You are a wonderful and caring mom and Wes is growing up to be such a happy and handsome young man! Just have faith in God and he will look after you.
Lots of hugs for you and Wes!