Friday, August 03, 2007

Wes is now in the guided hands of Dr. Bowman, Dr. Vicari, and Dr. Schroeder. Wish I could say his transition was smooth...The anesthesiologist gave him versed, which should calm him down. Instead he had an opposite reaction, startled eyes, shaking, and pushing everyone away. The positive aspect of this medicine is that he will not remember any of this traumatic experience. Everyone in the room reassured us of how closely they will be monitoring and caring for Wes.
Dr. Bowman came in this morning thoroughly explained the procedure and answered all of our questions. She did feel the need for Wes to have a feeding tube for about two weeks post op, as his palate is open and way too much communication/exposure. This did come as a shock, but also a reminder that she has a well thought out plan with Wes' best interest top priority. As she walked away to the OR, she held my hand and gently told me they would take care of Wes. I feel in my heart that they will with the guidance we have all prayed for...
First update, after over an hour in the OR, Dr. Bowman is now setting up to begin surgery. His broncoscopy and feeding tube were the first portion and so far everything is going smoothly.
Warning: my post for the next few days will be scattered, as this morning handing my little guy over was the most difficult thing I have ever faced.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Gina & family,
Our prayers are with you and Wes. I hope you don't mind but I sent Wes' website and a prayer request to our Sunday School friends as well as other friends and family. I know God is richly blessing Wes, you and the doctors and nurses at this very moment. All our love,
Laura (Chimene's soster) Farron, Ashley & Brittany

Anonymous said...

Gina, Joey, Chase, Brandon and all the family in Chicago,
Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you all, back here in Apalach. This morning at Mass at St. Pat's Father asked everyone to remember to pray for Wes' surgery today. I offered my prayers and Communion for Wes and lit a candle for everyone too. God has a perfect plan, so fear not...you are in His grip! God bless you all, With love, Ellen
P.S. Glad you got to enjoy Navy Pier and Lake Michigan.