Sunday, August 05, 2007

Wes was moved last night to a step down from the PICU. Constant care unit is basically six beds divided by curtains. All neuro patients, which is better for Wes. Last night they also removed his arterial line and catheter.
He is doing better since Dr. Bowman came into the ICU and laid down the law on his pain meds. Pain is still an issue, but better.
He is being fed with an oral gastric (OG) tube. He is finally getting some pediasure, but is not real happy with this tube and has tried to maneuver it out with his tongue. With his palate open there was just too much communication. This will remain for about two weeks.
His little eyes are swollen badly. Both have been swollen completely closed. His arms are in no-nos to keep him from pulling out the OG tube. This keeps his arms straight, but he still manages to let me know, he wants to be held. Reaches up and clinches his little fist. It is a difficult task with the swelling and wires, which have lessened in the past day. Even lying in my lap, he does not want to be touched or any type of movement. Want be long and he will be running from anyone in white coat or wearing those latex gloves!
Yesterday Dr. Bowman proudly showed me his CT scans. Both of his encephaloceles are covered with the bone graft from the top of his head, just a bit larger soft spot. His surgery was perfect!!!
Recovery will take time, but he is such a strong little fellow!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Guys,
It is so good to hear progress. I'm glad to hear you are doing good. I just wanted to leave a short note to let you know that I'm thinking of you---of all of you and love you guys.

Love you,
Aunt Sharron and Uncle David

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good update,Gina! We are with you ALL in Spirit. This morning at Mass, Father Roger reminded everyone to keep Wes in their prayers while he is recovering from his successful surgery. We certainly will!
God bless, love, el

Anonymous said...

I am really happy the surgery was a success! I hope he continues to do well and makes a quick recovery. I am sure it is a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.
I will continue to pray for Wes and will keep checking for updates!
Hugs to you and your handsome little boy!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything is going well! I have kept you all in my prayers, especially during this time. Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you all!

God bless,
Michelle in KY

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that everything went well. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily. All of our love to you all, especially Wes, such a strong little guy!

Love,
Kevin and Tara

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you hon...sounds like you had a better time with this than we did...and I am so glad it is better for you...
Let me know if there is anything you need...just say the word..