Thursday, August 21, 2008

Here I sit the day before a much anticipated surgery. Looking back on October 12th 2006, when Wes' palate repair was originally scheduled, I thank God I did not know all that was to come. Even though I can remember those late nights during my pregnancy and during Wes first year, wishing I knew what was to come, what the future held for my little man...a fast forward button for life. Now I realize it is little by little, day by day we face challenges and overcome. It is not the whole picture, yet the here and now that we rise above.
Wes was such a little ham today. He hopped around the hospital with his cute one leg tigger jump, talking and flirting with his nurse. She said he was the best little patient all day! Of course he was, that is my little man, full of personality, joy, and love. He seems to have a beautiful gift bringing this to those who meet him.
Tomorrow is huge day for Wes. More than a surgery, a huge step that will open doors for him. Dr. Curry wants a picture of him eating his first cheeseburger...how amazing this surgery will be for him in so many ways. To actually give him food and drink and not fear every moment that he will aspirate and end up back in the hospital and to hear his new little voice. Today I teared up buying him a shirt with a sippy cup and the words "half full". We have been asking him where his palate is and with that precious little voice, he says, "in Chicago." Tomorrow Dr. Vicari will give Wes his palate!
There is really no way to explain the emotions I am feeling. Ironic a year ago this very month Wes faced a huge surgery and yet somehow now we ride such a different roller coaster of emotions. The tears that have filled my eyes so many times these past few days are mixed with joy, excitement, pain, fear, anxiety...all in view of what has passed and what is too come. Today looking back, I am in awe at God's power. He has brought us through and filled our lives with love and support I never could have imagined.
Surgery time is at 9:45am, again I ask that you wrap him in a warm, soft, blanket of love and prayer.
A little trip in the rain today!

2 comments:

Jessica Stokes said...

We will be praying for Wes tomorrow-and for the doctors and of course ya'll! Can't wait to be able to give him cheetos and popcorn!

Lots of Love!!! =)
Jake

Anonymous said...

Hi Wes (and Family),
Our thoughts and Prayers are with you as you experience your son's Surgery. Remember it is often harder on the Parents than the child in many ways with modern Anaesthetics and Pain management it is often not as bad as we think it is going to be from my own personal experience having had a Bilateral Cleft Palate repair with Bone Grafting on the 16th. June 08 with more Craniofacial Stages to go to have done what young children have done and I am a mature person not quite 100 years old (only joking)! However I am a Paediatric Nurse at the Wopmen's & Children's Hospital in Adelaide South Australia and often care for Craniofacial kids Postoperatively after this Surgery and as a Nurse we care not only for the Child but also for the Parents too.
May God Bless and keep you all safe during this time.
From Barrie & Muriel Meyer
CarePage FromDownUnder
E-Mail sewandsew1@bidpond.com